Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Swallow Migration.









A few weeks ago I went to watch the Barn Swallows come and roost in the wetlands of Mount Moreland. This is one of the most beautiful sights I have had the pleasure of experiencing. It is quiet simply breath taking. To be surrounded and overwhelmed by nature and it's splendor is such a soul healing experience. I try to go every year...ok I have only been twice but it's now my thing. It is completely worth it. I simply can not miss something so amazing. The swallows all come to roost in the same place after a long day of dancing with the clouds. When the sky is at its fullest, it looks grey with swallows (over 3million at one time) and all you can hear is their cheerful chirping as they duck and dive over head. This wonder happens here in South Africa for a few months each year. The swallows come here to enjoy our warm summer and bask in the sun rays. It is spectacular. I recommend anyone and everyone here in South Africa to come and view these beautiful creatures. It is a sight to behold. You can bring a pick nick and blanket along and make an evening out of it :) If you are interested check out the website...even if you are not check it out anyway...it's awe inspiring! Sigh...I love Swallows. When I die I want to come back as a Barn Swallow :) G x

No comments:

Post a Comment