Friday, July 29, 2011

Creating Infinite Beauty - Kate MacDowell

I LOVE these porcelain sculptures by artist Kate D. MacDowell. She pulls inspiration from environmental degradation, mythology, art history and other cultural touchstones.

Kate states that, “I see each piece as a captured and preserved specimen, a painstaking record of endangered natural forms and a commentary on our own culpability.” She also says about her work, "In my work this romantic ideal of union with the natural world conflicts with our contemporary impact on the environment. These pieces are in part responses to environmental stressors including climate change, toxic pollution, and gm crops. They also borrow from myth, art history, figures of speech and other cultural touchstones."

Each piece is hand sculptured out of porcelain. I absolutely mindlessly love this work! Seriously I want each piece. Each one is so detailed and intricate. They are so raw and ghostly. Some of them are a bit disturbing but that simply makes me love them even more. I love art that makes you feel, that moves you, and wow I am moved!!! G













No comments:

Post a Comment