Monday, March 29, 2010

Inspiring.

This Burning - William Taylor Jr.

A nameless afternoon
in a small San Francisco
apartment
I strive for poetry
and produce only words
I pace the room
and through the windows I watch
the sad little whores
and their pimps
cracked out ghosts
sitting in shadowed doorways
hiding from the sun
I turn away and
a yellowed death notice clipped from a newspaper
years ago
falls from the pages
of a slim volume of poems
an old jazz man plays through my dirty little speakers
erasing the lines between life and death
nightmares and dreams
and this burning in my chest
this acute desire
is not for death
only for something other 
than what is here.


All We've Simply Thrown Away - William Taylor Jr.

Outside it's just
screams and sirens
and people waiting to be paid
inside we peel paint 
from the walls in flakes
as if there might be some new 
magic underneath
the wine does what it can
but this sadness in our blood
is older than time
our damage shines best
in these smallest hours
and this is the beauty I want to remember
it suddenly strikes me 
so many lives could be made
from all we've simply
thrown away
as we cross our hearts and make a pact
to stay beautiful until dawn
when the sun will come and
burn us off like fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment