Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The sensational Dali and Little Ashes



So Salvador Dali is my most favorite artist of all time. His work has inspired me greatly and I have always been magnetically drawn to his shocking character and unsound antics. He was so ahead of his time, even though many did appreciate his work and he was vastly regarded for his unusual, eccentric style. He was a very popular man and at the time was placed in a similar class to Elbert Einstein, with his curious theories. His work is beautiful, bizarre, crazed, striking and so passionate. I love it because it always holds extensive symbolism(and this is something I aspire to in my work). He was not simply painting something beautiful, as so many other artist did and still do, he often painted without the slightest aesthetic concern. Dali was very interested in death, new scientific theories and putrefaction as his subject matter, which were all hugely controversial topics to paint at the time. (My favorite been The Temptation Of St Anthony.) Anyway...I digress. The other night I finally watched Little Ashes. I have been wanting to watch this movie for so long and have just never got the chance. But finally I did, and it was worth the wait. It gives you an amazing view into his personality and how he grew more and more crazed and arrogant over the years. The movie is set in Madrid, where he attended the Student Residence, in 1922. And its' story is largely based around his tumultuous relationship with famous Poet, Federico Garcia Lorca, which quickly became a romantic one. Lorca and Dali both thought hugely of one another. Lorca (who, after his relationship with Dali, became openly gay) simply described Dali as Genius. He idolized Dali. (he even wrote a hugely famous poem called Ode To Dali). Dali was terribly concerned of been called gay (obviously this was tabu at this time) and he cut this relationship short. Dali also got bored very easily. But even in his final years he admitted to fond feelings towards Lorca. I love that about him though. He was so open, nothing was closed off to him, he experimented and failed and tested and progressed, he rebelled and shocked. He was not afraid to be against the norm. So what I am trying to say...this movie was amazing. If you are at all interested in Dali and art and poetry please watch it, I laughed and cried. It's one of the good ones. ;) G





No comments:

Post a Comment