Monday, April 18, 2011

Mary

I see you lying there in a world that is not yours.
A world drowning with tears.
I remember how you used to make me laugh.
How you made everything around you fun.
How your smile used to light up a room.
It is wrong that you lie there so still, your lips bare.

My eyes wont leave your shut eyelids.
They are fixed to yours, waiting for them to open.
Your people surround you.
Your parents, so fragile, so small with tear stained faces.
Your daughters hovering, adjusting
and whispering loving words into your hair.

I feel wrong been here, in this little world so full of you.
This room is aching love for you. I am an outsider looking in.
My pain for you and for them seems insignificant to
the looks on their faces, the hollows under their eyes.
The concern in their touch.

I cant understand the pain they feel.
But I can see it. It pulsates in this room.
They carry it with them in their eyes, in their every step.
Their love for you is tangible it has become a physical being,
another person inside this room,
sitting quietly watching you sleep, listening to your breath.

We sit and wait.
Remembering a time better than this, a time when you were you.
A quite room filled with saddened hearts and patient angels.
Loving touches, soft prayers and gentle song.
I am sure you are listening to it all.
I am sure inside that withered shell you are smiling.

I know now that your pain has finally been taken away.
I know now that your heart is happy.
It is hard but they have set you free.
Your laughter and your unapologetic love will be missed every day.
But finally your spirit is free,
free from that body that broke around you,
free from the pain that plagued you
and free from a world that was not good enough for you.
I hope you have found your peace Mary.
You stole a little piece of my heart.
A piece that will always miss but never forget your smile,
a smile that lit a tiny empty little room.

G ©

No comments:

Post a Comment