Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mamma Earth

I am so sorry Mamma.

I know I have disappointed you. I am a disgrace.

I deserve to be condemned. I am your shameful child.

And I long to be punished.

I long for my guilt to dissolve by your reprimanding.

To feel the sting of your cold glare.

But you just smile, your love shining warm on me.


You have given me the world,

opening your loving arms, you shared your wealth with me.

You shared your mystery.

You have given me the sun to rise to and

Stars to wish on every dark night.

You blessed me with the salt of the sea and

Dark secrets of the forests.

You have given yourself, everyday.

You have given me your all without even been asked.

And in turn I have turned my back on you.


I have abandoned you.

Even though I can hear your silent sobs in the back of my mind.

I can see your scars, your open bleeding wounds, your disease.

I see you precious flesh on my hands,

My clothing soaked with your blood.

I am killing you.

My beautiful mother I shall be your demise.

I do not hold the dagger in my hands but

I stand aside and watch your murder.


Each day is another torture to you my precious mother.

Each day the cruelty of my brothers and sisters continues.

Their brutal blood lust continuing, growing,

Expanding with each day that passes.

Yet there is not a second that passes where your beauty and love fades.

You just keep giving of yourself, you keep sharing,

Even though we no longer deserve it.

Mamma you are so brave.

Not once have you complained, but I can see you are falling apart.

I can see under it all you are weakening.


As they rip at your seas, destroying all the magic you have created there,

I see you shudder.

They brutally slaughter your children, savoring their forbidden flesh.

Causing extinctions and death, taking lives that were not theirs to own.

I can taste the tears in your eyes as they poison, rape and leave you abandoned in the baron dirt.

A newborn child is murdered by her mother.

My brother is left on the side of the street

to take his last breath alone, in a pool of his own blood.

The sun and the stars are hidden by our filth.

The forests evaporate before our eyes, their secrets long lost in the wind.

My Mamma, what have I done!

Our hate is so thick in the air, we choke and suffocate on it.

Guns and bombs kill thousands, while armies smile on-all in a days work.

How do we kill our brothers over land and religion and pride.

Mama we have no pride, our land is your flesh and our religion is a cult.

I don't know what beast we have become.

Families torn apart, children left orphaned.

Pain and tears, death and lies.

Walking, talking skeletons, dying a slow painful starvation, when others are indulged to a point of disgust.

Have we all gone insane!

We look at images of our brothers starving, our sisters been raped, our children murdered, our mother exploited while we eat our dinner at night, in our safe little bubble, unfazed by these heinous crimes.

Desensitized, the soulless, dark creatures we have become.

What has happened to us, we have become barbarians. Demons, pure evil.

Everyone sees it happening, everyone hears your screams of pain and despair yet we carry on with averted eyes and hard, cold, black hearts.

My mother, my creator, my nurturer, my love,

Maker of all that is pure and beautiful, magical and untainted,

My poor dear, precious Mamma,

What have we done.


No comments:

Post a Comment